Friday, November 09, 2007

For Sara, Turning Five

Pictures for you

Ah, my beautiful girl, now you are five.


Once again, I sit in staggered awe at the person you are. Somehow you are much older than your years, yet still retain the adorable wonderment that is the stamp of one of your age. You see what others are doing around you and don't even question if you can do it, too. You just do what the rest of us are doing.


We all read. Therefore, you decided to read. Really read. Real words. You made the hair on the back of my neck stand up a couple of weeks ago when we cracked open that wonderful thing that is a brand new book. (In this case, what has become your favorite of the past 2 weeks, The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid Of Anything.) Curled up in the rocking chair in your room as part of your bedtime ritual, we opened it and, as I was curious, I started pointing to the words in turn on the first few pages. Damned if you didn't read 80% of the words cold. You'd been 'reading' for ages, but as it'd been books we'd read over and over and over and over, I just figured you were reciting.


Nope.


When you were helping me with the wash (and may I just say what a large help you are, my best girl, always willing to help with the dusting and the toting of the laundry and the dumping of the flour into the batter) last weekend, you then read all the words describing the laundry settings on the washer. Well, almost all of them; 'delicate' gave you pause.


You also can do your 1+ and 2+ additions, which you learned from your brother being quizzed one day. I guess what gets me is that you can just do stuff that we don't realize you can do because you don't make a huge fanfare out of it.


Which doesn't mean you are not a drama queen, though. Noooooooooooooo. You can throw a fit with the best of them over the smallest (one might even say 'non-existent') thing. Your stubbornness is also legendary. You will forgo candy and popcorn and playing Guitar Hero in your refusal to eat a bite of your dinner. A dinner, I might add that is not composed of meatloaf, beets and liver with onions, but grilled chicken, salad and pasta. And you used to eat absolutely everything I put before you. You will even insist that you are tired and need to go to bed at 6:30 pm rather than eat your nice dinner, and then proceed to go to bed, sitting there happily reading and singing to your dolls and animals until you fall asleep 2-3 hours later.


Lord, help us when you are 15. (And there is no way in hell that you are moving downstairs to the basement bedroom. No way in hell. We are either putting you in your brother's room, which is right across from our room, or installing you in our closet through your high school years.)


You love to play ball sports and are rather good at them, unlike me. You must get that from your dad. You also love to draw and paint and anything else of that ilk, which you do at the kitchen counter while I fiddle with the food. It's lovely.

Pictures for you


You are warm, generous and very empathetic. You are tough in some ways but a small bump on the leg will be grist for conversation for days. You will not take medication for any amount of love or money or loss of privileges. This makes it particularly difficult when your fever is over 104, let me tell you. I blame most of my gray hairs on those times.

Pictures for you

You are very protective of your idol, your big brother. I am suspicious that a lot of the things you've accomplished have been because you admire and want to do what he does so much. Good taste in your role models.

Pictures for you

Starting school has gone better than I had expected, thanks to your amazing teacher, the fabulous Mrs B., who was Colin's 5K teacher. A wild woman at home, you are very shy around people you don't know. The first several weeks were hard on you, especially because you really do still need an afternoon nap most days. You've adjusted, though, as we knew you would. You are making friends nicely and are thrilled with the thought of your first 'real' birthday party, with a pinata and pizza and, of course, cake. Your dad and I were particularly thrilled with your choice of cake: Chocolate with chocolate and chocolate. And roses. (Just like Robert the Rose Horse, natch.)



But best of all, to me, is that you still love to be with me; you want me to sit with you on the couch and "cuddle" with a book or a game. You want me to hold your hand in the parking lot or walking through the house (the latter can be difficult if my arms are full of laundry or crap or dishes). You want me to read to you before bed and color with you in the kitchen.


And that makes me the luckiest one of all.

This morning, at 5am, I woke to you singing "Happy Birthday to me! Happy Birthday toooooooo meeeeee....."

Happy birthday, indeed, my best girl. May this year be filled with happiness and wonder, just like you.

Labels:

26 Comments:

Blogger CarpeDM said...

If I ever decided to have a child, I would want a Sara of my own. But yes, lock her up at 15.

That top picture of her is so unbelievably adorable. And I love the fact that she paints wearing a hat. How cute is that?

It is not often but there are times when I regret not having children. This is one of them. But I'm sure some time spent at the nearest department store will take care of that.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tears in my eyes- you are such a great Momma! Happy Birthday to Sara! It seems to me that you are all wonderfully lucky to have each other! Have a piece of cake for me!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Too sweet! You might want to present this to her on her 15th. :-)

Happy birthday, Sara!!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Way to make the pregnant woman weepy *grin* A happy little girl is a beautiful thing. Happy birthday to Sara!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My God, your children are just the cutest things ever. You know I love them like mad! And you and Charles, too, of course! :)

See you tomorrow. Because I have the bad taste not to return your recent e-mail, I will say that YES you should get to our like an hour before that class is slated to begin. We can then drive over together.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I'm up for adoption if you'd like an older daughter.

;o)-


What a wonderful post, I loved it.
Made me grin all the way through.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

3:56 PM  
Blogger the rotten correspondent said...

Oh, what a wonderful post. It captures all the yin and yang of parenthood so well. She seems like a great kid - stubborn, but great.

I'm planning on locking all of my kids in their rooms during the teen years. I don't know what else to do.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Oh, she'll be down in the basement when she's fifteen.

Yes, she will.

---------
This is, of course, so lovely. I want your girl to be best friends with my boy; and I appreciate getting to see the resonance between your kids and how it mirrors what I see between mine.

I hope, in ten years, we are still blog commiserating.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Happy Birthday, Sara!

As I was reading your post I kept thinking, "oh, us too" or "me too" or "Belle too" all the way through it. For example, we have been reading that same book lately also. "And two shoes went clomp clomp" hee hee

You captured so many great things to remember later.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Dana- Yes, that is, indeed her 'painting hat' and for a while she couldn't paint without it. And should you ever receive that large blow to the head and have a Sara, you would indeed be blessed.

Kate- The small ones do bring out the mush in us, don't they? (I had 2 pieces of cake. With ice cream.)

Cagey- I may need to present this to her as at 15 she may well not be talking to me for another 3 years. I'll just slide it under the closet door, shall I?

Jen- Yes, you and I are both blessed, aren't we?

Ariella- And you know our kids adore you like mad, too. Sara is up for more Go Fish when you are.

Scarlett- Sure! We'll put bunkbeds in Sara's room. When we move her to the closet in 10 years, you can have the room all to yourself.

Julie- As much as she drives me insane, I'd still rather she be stubborn and thinking for herself than accepting of what others tell her to do. If she stays true to this trait I know she'll not be doing things 'because everyone else is doing it'. Of course she will be the one to potentially lead others into doing things...

Jocelyn- No way!!! Just you see. The closet or a convent or military school. I shudder to think of the content of our posts 10 years form now. We'll clink our glasses and sob our tears and prevent each other from murdering our young. Deal.

Lauren- Don't you love doing that with the blogs of your friends? Makes us all feel connected. "And the pants went wiggle, wiggle."

8:43 AM  
Blogger moegirl said...

Happy Birthday Sara! What a wonderful, wonderful girl you've got there- but no suprise, considering what an exceptional mom (and fashion god Dad)she has. Love her painting hat and taste in cakes.

I would worry too much about the teen years. Allie is just as sweet as ever (yet she just turned 13- could be the calm before the storm! I'll keep you posted)

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

3:27 PM  
Blogger listie said...

Happy belated birthday, Sara!

Lovely, lovely post, Mom.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

She really is a lovely girl! Happy birthday to her. My older two did that trick with the reading too. All of a sudden they could READ! How does that happen?

and that Little Old Lady book? It's Squeaker's near-constant companion.

I still think it's spooky how similar our lives can be...

11:39 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

You have got to save these birthday posts. They are wonderful and must be preserved!

So, sounds like Sara is pretty much ready for college! Of course, you still need help with laundry, so I guess she'll have to settle for part time for now.

Super sweet pix of Sara and Colin. They are great kids!

2:00 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Stace- You know I'm looking to you as my guide. I'm curious to see how Allie fares in a few years. If anyone can have an amazing teen, it's got to be you.

Listie- Aw, thanks.

Teri- So, not only are we evil twins but our youngest girls are evil twins? Figures.

Rozanne- I plan on bringing them out when they are in the throes of horrible teenhood to embarass them and shame them into knowing how much their mom really does love them, all no-you-can't-have-the-car, no-you-can't-go-to-an-all-night-party-with-that-guy evidence to the contrary. I'm hoping once she gets the idea behind 'delicate' and 'permanent press' she can take over the laundry.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

I think this is the first time I have seen pictures! SO sweet, I am partial to the painting pictures. :)

8:56 AM  
Blogger brooksba said...

She is so absolutely adorable. What a great little girl and wonderful mom. Happy Belated Birthday to Sara!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Written like the proud Mommy you are! I love that she woke up singing Happy Birthday to herself. How cute! Hope she had a great birthday!

8:51 PM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Lovely, lovely post!

I sometimes miss the small people. Especially the small hands and the big cuddles.

I hope Sara had a great birthday and Mom too!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Stepping- I don't post a lot of pictures of them but I figure a birthday deserves some.

Beth- I am terribly lucky to have them, that's for certain.

Colleen- We proud moms must occasionally hold forth, mustn't we?

Rise- The small hands and huge total body hugs are the best, aren't they? She had a wonderful birthday. I had a nap afterward.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I love this "proud mom" post. Treasure those cuddles and hand-holding. At 20, my son's hugs are not nearly as frequent as I would like. I wish he could be 5 again, just for a little while.
V.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I love this post as much as I have loved the other birthday posts for your kids! You have started a tradition and one that will be so very precious to them when they are a lot older..and to you too!
Sarah sounds like such a neat little girl! I bet she seems as if you can hardly keep up with her development..and that's just being a kids at that exciting age, taking everything in. You were probably that way too I bet!

Happy 5th to you, Sarah! You just have the greatest mom, even if you are reading this at age 16 from her closet!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Mojavi said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww she is soooooo cute, and I am so impressed she can read! I hope Kya loves books as much as I do... I can't wait till she can sit still for a full story! :)

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the fairy picture...she looks so sweet and innocent until you look at the smile...then she sorta looks like a fairy that's about to get into some massive mischief. She is adorable, and a lucky lucky girl to have a momma that loves her so much!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

You've made me all sentimental! What awesome kids you have. Of course, knowing you, this is not a surprise.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Lioness said...

*shniff*

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home