Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Curses

Our scene: Evening. Large waiting area with big comfy chairs and soothing, sage green decor. Seems to be a hospital, but without the smell. I am ensconced in a double-wide chair with an acquaintance, Heather, who is like a daughter to my MIL, having a lovely chat and catch-up. I've always liked Heather. Lilian, herself, is seated several feet away in another overstuffed, comfy chair, smiling and happy. 2 others are seated near by, part of our party. Shouts of "Mom! Mom!" and Colin and Sara run up, giving me hugs, accompanied by Charles and my dad.

Charles: I'm going to the coffee cart. Anyone want anything?

Diana: Ohhhh! That'd be lovely. How about a decaf caramel latte. Or maybe a pumpkin one....NO! I know. One of those Venetian ones if they can do it all fat free.

Dad: Hey, that wouldn't be too bad for you, especially if they have the fat free ricotta cheese along with the fat free milk.

Diana: No it wouldn't, especially with the cinnamon. Actually, though, I think I'll go with the caramel latte. With whipped cream.

As Charles exits in search of a lovely caramel latte, harsh, harsh light suddenly streams into the room, morphing it into my chilly bedroom at 4:15 am. It seems a child has gone to the bathroom and left the light on to hit me square in the eyes. Weeping with sorrow and frustration, I haul my sorry self up and out, staggering to the bathroom, eyes screwed up against the assault, and hit the switch. Bother. Might as well pee.

Back to warm bed in search of those last 45 minutes of sleep (success) and that promised caramel latte (failure).

The office coffee this morning, while good, is just not the same. I'm not even overly fond of caramel lattes. Pumpkin, yes, but caramel seems just sweet without the flavor. So now I'm craving something I'd rather take a pass on.

Yes, we must live with life's little disappointments but was 5 more minutes too much to ask? And why does this never happen with broccoli? Or that odd Venetian latte? Awake, I'd certainly not be craving a coffee drink with ricotta cheese, cinnamon or no cinnamon. I'm not into chunks of cheese in my beverages.

Santa will remember and note this little incident on his list. At least he would if he knew which innocently shut door hid the evil child.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I wish the Santa threat worked on husbands who get up at 3 a.m. and also like to leave the bathroom light on and make as much nosie as possible while getting ready.

I might try.

8:59 AM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Okay. It was a dream. I was really wondering about the ricotta cheese.

I'm more of a tea person myself. So while you're talking about lattes, I am thinking of my favorite tea in the world, market spice which is orangey and lemony and clovey, with skim milk and pink stuff (aka Sweet and Low). Which I would certainly purchase right now if it wasn't for the fact that I haven't had this tea in over 7 years because I could only get it at the job I had before NABABNA. Sigh.

Had to make sure we both suffered, didn't that mysterious kid? I might have to have a word with the Easter Bunny as well.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

You get up at 5 a.m.?!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just starting to wonder why I didn't remember any of this. But I have tried to stay out of your dreams for many years. Too bad about the latte. Really prefer capaccinos myself--maybe eventually enough to be able to spell the stuff.

The Ole RF-er

12:27 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Venetian latte? I'll bet that's good. Too bad it doesn't exist. Or does it?

7:06 PM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

The thoughts of chunks of cheese in my latte makes me want to hurl chunks...

that being said, caramel is just wrong in coffee.

and an aside to Rozanne: Venetian lattes? If defined as lattes served in Vienna, they are Quite Good. Decadent even, what with presentation and all. One can't beat Vienna's coffeehouses...

10:15 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Cutting short latte dreams is so wrong. Especially Venitian lattes. At least it wasn't about Martian lattes.
V.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Jen- Santa gave up long ago in our household. (grumble,grumble,husbands-who-buy-their-own-presents,grumble,grumble)

Dana- Sadly, during the dream I wasn't wondering about the ricotta. This morning I, too, am drinking tea. With yellow stuff.

Dumdad- Not by choice, let me tell you...

Dad- I try to keep you out of them but sometimes you seem to make a cameo.

Rozanne- I sincerely hope it doesn't exist, at least not with ricotta cheese. The cinnamon can stay.

Teri- I knew you'd understand. So terribly wrong, indeed. A latte in Vienna would be divine.

Voyager- Hm. Maybe I got the name in the dream wrong. Perhaps it was Venusian? Would make more sense, wouldn't it?

9:47 AM  
Blogger karmic said...

No Fair! Never a good thing when dreams esp ones involving delicious lattes get cut short!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Babs said...

Pah. Try having a dream, in fact the only dream EVER with Colin Firth in it and he bolts at the sight of you. I nearly wept.

Now THAT'S cruel, I tells ya.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Do you know that I've never had a latte anything? Maybe I should try one! An Americano decaf is as fancy as I get! (Mind you, they're pretty good and you can even order a double shot for more flavour!)

5:11 PM  
Blogger listie said...

Oh, the tragedy of a good dream cut short.

Have you tried a night light? Less disruptive to those who are dreaming and would prefer to keep it that way.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

Oh. Woman. I love caramel macchiatos from Starbucks. With a passion. Our closest Starbucks is 20 miles away, sadly.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

I guess you--er, Santa--have no choice but to penalize both kids. Coal in stockings it is.

Ever try a hazelnut latte? It is the best of the "settling" in a coffee drink.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

An award awaits you at my blog.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Sanjay- No fair, indeed.

Babs- You really need to have a stern chat with your dreams. The nerve!

Ruth- Ah. Latte's are lovely, all creamy and coffe-y. I highly recommend.

Listie- That's actually not a bad idea. We've got an extra around here, somewhere.

Stepping- Sigh. Our closest would be 30 miles away but Charles invested in a counter-top unit, so a lovely latte is only a few feet away. I am good, though, and don't allow myself to have the syrups in the house otherwise I'd be as big as the house.

Jocelyn- That'll make, erm, Santa's shopping much easier, that's for sure. (You know, hazelnut is the only flavor I'm not at all partial to.)

Dumdad- Aw, shucks, pal. And thanks!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Lioness said...

You get up at 5 am.

I feel faint.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home